Raja Fayad, MD
- Director of Applied Physiology Division
- Director of Integrative immunology of inflammation and Cancer Laboratory
Department of Exercise Science
Arnold School of Public Health
921 Assembly Street
Columbia, SC 29208
Office: (803) 777-2918
2014-present, Associate Professor University of South Carolina
Memberships: The American Association of Immunologists
American Gastroenterological Association
Chicago Association of Immunologists
Crohns and Colitis Foundation of America
American Association for the Advancement of Science
Columbia IBD Support Group/SCGA
My Integrative immunology of inflammation and Cancer Laboratory studies the role of chronic inflammation in cancer development in animal and human models. I am studying a specific protein produced by adipocytes called adiponectin in the development of cancer and chronic inflammation in adiponectin deficient animals. Also, I am interested in studying the role played by specific cytokines produced by adipocytes in inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), Crohns and ulcerative Colitis. Specifically, my laboratory is focusing on identifying the role of leptin and adiponectin in stricture development in Crohns disease. Another area of interest in my research is clinical studies characterizing the role of obesity and specific micronutrient in the clinical outcome of IBD and colon cancer.
- Role of Selenium in chronic inflammation and colon cancer prevention
- SPARC effect on colon cancer during moderate exercise
- The effect of adiponectin on mucus production during colon cancer development
- The role of quinoxaline di-N-oxide DCQ therapy hypoxic region of colon cancer models
- Adiponectin effect on systemic inflammation and glucose metabolism during western diet consumption
EXSC223 Anatomy and Physiology I- Credit hours: 4
EXSC224 Anatomy and Physiology II- Credit hours: 4
EXSC620 Nutrition and Immunology- Credit hours: 3
HN318 Genetic, Molecular and Cellular mechanism of Diseases- lecture on cardiovascular disease
EPID744 Cardiovascular Disease Epidemiology- lecture on atherosclerosis complications
EXSC777 Endocrinology of Exercise and Health- lectures on neuroendocrinology and gastrointestinal physiology
EPID 746 Cancer Epidemiology- lecture on fat, inflammation and cancer
ENHS793 The Human Microbiome- lecture on gut microbiota and health.
- Melissa Gove , Davina M. Rhodes , Maria Pini, Jantine W. Van Baal, Joseph A.
Sennello, Raja Fayad, Robert J. Cabay, Martin G. Myers Jr, Giamila Fantuzzi.
(2009). Role of leptin receptor-induced STAT-3 signaling in modulation of
intestinal and hepatic inflammation. Journal of Leukocyte Biology, 85
- Pini M, Gove M, Fayad R, Cabay RJ, Chan L, Fantuzzi G. (2009). Adiponectin deficiency does not affect development and progression of spontaneous colitis in IL-10 KO mice. American Journal of Physiology Gastrointestinal and Liver Physiology, 296: G382–G387.
- Joseph A. Sennello, Raja Fayad, Maria Pini, Melissa Gove, Venkatesh Ponemone, Robert J. Cabay, Britta Siegmund, Charles A. Dinarello, Giamila Fantuzzi. (2008). Interleukin-18 together with interleukin-12 induces severe acute pancreatitis in obese but not in non-obese leptin-deficient mice. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 105 (23): 8085-8090
- Manjeshwar S. Baliga, Alan M. Diamond, Timothy Koh, Raja Fayad, Giamila Fantuzzi, Veda Diwadkar-Navsariwala. (2008). Selenoprotein Deficiency Enhances Radiation-Induced Micronuclei Formation. Molecular Nutrition & Food Research, 52 (11): 1300-4.
- Sennello JA, Fayad R, Pini M, Gove ME, Fantuzzi G. (2007). Transplantation of wild-type white adipose tissue normalizes metabolic, immune and inflammatory alterations in leptin-deficient ob/ob mice. Cytokine, 36 (5-6): 261-266
- Fayad R, Pini M, Sennello JA, Cabay RJ, Chan L, Xu A, Fantuzzi G. (2007). Adiponectin deficiency protects mice from chemically-induced colonic inflammation. Gastroenterology, 132 (2): 601-614
- Fayad R, Brand MI, Stone D, Keshavarezian A, Qiao L (2006). Apoptosis resistance in ulcerative colitis: high expression of decoy receptors by lamina propria T cells. European Journal of Immunology, 36: 2215–2222
- Puppa MJ, Murphy A, Fayad R, Hand G, Carson JA (2014). Cachetic skeletal muscle response to a novel bout of low frequency stimulation. Journal of applied physiology. DOI: 10.1152/japplphysiol.01270.2013.
- Saxena A, Kaur K, Hegde S, Kalekhan FM, Baliga MS, Fayad R (2014). Dietary agents and phytochemicals in the prevention and treatment of ulcerative colitis, in press, Food and Function Journal.
- Palatty PL, Azmidah A, Rao S, Jayachander D, Thilakchand KR, Fayad R, Baliga MS (2014). Topical application of a sandal wood oil and turmeric based cream prevents radiodermatitis in head and neck cancer patients undergoing external beam radiotherapy: a preliminary study. Br J Radiol. 2014 Apr 2:20130490. [Epub ahead of print]
- Gordon B, Diaz D, Carson J, Fayad R, Wilson B, Kostek M (2014). Resveratrol improves muscle function but not oxidative capacity in young mdx mice. Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology. 92(3):243-251, 10.1139/cjpp-2013-0350
- Haniadka R, Arpit Saxena, Shivashankara AR, Fayad R, Palatty PL, Nazreth N, Arora R, and Baliga MS (2013). Ginger protects the liver against the toxic effects of xenobiotic compounds: preclinical observations. Life Sciences.
- Saxena A, Minton D, Lee DC, Sui X, Fayad R and Blair SN. Protective role of resting heart rate on all-cause and cardiovascular disease mortality. Mayo Clinic Proceedings, 2013;88(12):1420-1426
- Rao S, Dinkar C, Vaishnav LK, Rao P, Rai MP, Fayad R, Baliga MS (2013). The Indian spice turmeric delays and mitigates radiation induced oral mucositis in patients undergoing treatment for Head and Neck cancer: an investigational study. Integrative Cancer Therapies journal,
- Archer E, Hand GA, Hébert JR, Lau EY, Wang X, Shook RP, Fayad R, Blair SN (2013). Validation of a novel protocol for calculating estimated energy requirements and average daily physical activity ratio for the U.S. population: 2005-2006. Mayo Clinic Proceedings, 2013;88(12):1398-1407
- Singh UP, Singh NP, Guan B, Busbee B, Price RL, Taub DD, Mishra MK, Fayad R, Nagarkatti M, Nagarkatti PS (2013). The Emerging Role of Leptin Antagonist as Potential Therapeutics Options for Inflammatory Bowel Disease. International Reviews of Immunology DOI: 10.3109/08830185.2013.809071
- Singh UP, Singh NP, Guan B, Fayad R, Price RL, Taub DD, Mishra MK, Nagarkatti M, Nagarkatti PS. (2013). Leptin antagonist ameliorates chronic colitis in IL-10-/- mice. Immunobiology pii: S0171- 2985(13)00095-8. doi: 10.1016/j.imbio.2013.04.020
- Haniadkaa R, Saldanha E, Sunitaa V, Palattya PL, Fayad R, MS Baliga (2013). A review of the gastroprotective effects of Ginger (Zingiber officinale Roscoe). Food and Function, 4 (6), 845 - 855
- Saxena A, Baliga MS, Ponemone V, Kaur K, Larsen B, Fletcher E, Greene J, Fayad R.(2013). Mucus and adiponectin deficiency: role in chronic inflammation-induced colon cancer. International journal of colorectal disease, March 2013.
- Saxena A, Jung, SH, Kaur k, Fletcher E, Ponemone V, Nottingham JN, Joseph Sheppe, JA, Petroni M, Greene J, Graves K, Baliga, SM, Fayad, R (2012). The role of adipose tissue-associated macrophages and T lymphocytes in the pathogenesis of inflammatory bowel disease. Cytokine. pii: S1043-4666(12)00804-6. doi: 10.1016/j.cyto.2012.11.021
- Saxena A, Fletcher E, Larsen B, Baliga MS, Durstine JL, Fayad R (2012). Effect of exercise on chemically- induced colitis in adiponectin deficient mice. Journal of Inflammation, 9(1):30. doi: 10.1186/1476-9255-9- 30.
- Baliga SM, Josepha N, Venkatarangannab MV, Saxena A, Ponemone V, Fayad R. (2012). Curcumin, an active component of turmeric in the prevention and treatment of ulcerative colitis: preclinical and clinical observations. Food and Function journal, 3(11), 1109-1117
- Saxena A, Chumanevich A, Fletcher E, Larsen B, Lattwein K, Kaur K, Fayad R (2012). Adiponectin deficiency: Role in chronic inflammation induced colon cancer. (BBA) Molecular Basis of disease, Volume 1822, Issue 4, April 2012, Pages 527–536
- Saxena A, Chumanevich A, Fletcher E, Fayad R (2011). Adiponectin and Selenium: Role in chronic inflammation induced colon cancer. Inflammatory bowel disease.
- Ponemone V, Keshavarzian A, Brand MI, Saclarides T, Abcarian H, Cabay RJ, Fletcher E, Larsen B, Durstine LJ, Fantuzzi G, Fayad R. (2010) Apoptosis and Inflammation: Role of adipokines in inflammatory bowel disease. Clinical and translational Gastroenterology, 1, e1; doi:10.1038/ctg.2010.1
- Ponemone V, Fayad R, Cabay RJ, Fantuzzi G. (2010). Effect of adiponectin deficiency on hematopoietic responses and intestinal damage of mice exposed to gamma radiation. Mutation Research/Fundamental and Molecular Mechanisms of Mutagenesis, 690(1-2):102-7
- Gove M, Pini M, Fayad R, Cabay R, and Fantuzzi G. (2009) Adiponectin deficiency modulates adhesion molecules expression and cytokine production but does not affect disease severity in the transfer model of colitis. Cytokine, 47(2):119-25
- Gove M , Rhodes DM , Pini M, Van Baal JW, Sennello JA, Fayad R, Cabay RJ, Myers MG Jr, Fantuzzi G. (2009). Role of leptin receptor-induced STAT-3 signaling in modulation of intestinal and hepatic inflammation. Journal of Leukocyte Biology, 85:491-496.